TAGS: health | dog ownership

10 Toxic Foods That Your Dog Should Never Eat

08 May, 2023

Share to:

facebookIcon twIcon linkIcon mailIcon copyIcon


We've all been there before. We're sitting at home enjoying a nice meal, and our dogs beg us with their eyes for a little bite. They are using every trick in the book just to sneak a nibble, and with their cute puppy eyes, it is not easy to resist. Giving your pup their "cheese tax" is one thing, but the 10 items on this list are definite no-nos. It is our job as dog owners to know what is best for our pups better than them, so avoid feeding your dog these foods at all costs!


Dog giving puppy eyes

#10 - Onions and Garlic


Keep any variation of onions and garlic away from your dog. Even if you have some chicken with some garlic seasoning, do not let them have any. This food can kill your pup's red blood cells and cause them to have anemia. Eating too much of this food at once can result in poisoning.

#9 - Grapes and Raisins


While these sweet treats would seem to make a yummy snack for your pup, refrain from feeding them. This food can cause kidney failure in dogs and make them sick. If your dog accidentally ate a grape off the floor, watch for the early warning signs of repetitive vomiting. 


#8 - Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums


Small amounts of the flesh of these fruits will not harm your dog's health, but it is generally best to stay away. Too much of the fruit can undoubtedly upset your dog's stomach and result in diarrhea and vomiting. In addition, the pits of these fruits contain cyanide, which is highly poisonous. Your dog may chew on the pit, which is highly toxic to dogs and humans.

#7 - Sugary Foods and Drinks


These foods are entirely unnecessary for your dog. While these foods are not toxic for your dog, they will have the same effect as they do on humans and can make your dog overweight. Additionally, these foods can result in damaging your dog's teeth and can give them diabetes. Your dog will enjoy a safe dog treat much more than sweets, so it is best to stay away.


#6 - Avocado


Dogs should not only avoid eating avocados but should refrain from hanging out in the area where they grow too. Avocados have something called Persin, which is toxic for dogs. Persin is found in the fruit itself but also in the leaves and bark of the plant. Eating this can result in vomiting and diarrhea for dogs.

#5 - Alcohol


Perhaps you thought it would be funny to see your dog drunk? We can answer this question for you - it will definitely not be funny. While the effect of the alcohol on the brain will be the same for dogs as it does on humans, tiny doses of this stuff can really hurt your pup. Your dogs will react with excessive vomiting and diarrhea and could even die if the quantity is too large. Our pups are already high on life; no need to give them alcohol.


#4 - Coffee, Tea, Caffeine


Want to give your dog an extra boost before their outing? Well, don't even think about giving them any form of caffeine. This substance can be fatal for your dog; if they ingest any, you should take them to the vet as soon as possible. 

#3 - Macadamia Nuts


Flipping your dog some nuts while you eat seems like a pretty natural and fun thing to do. Some nuts are safe for dogs to eat, but not macadamia nuts. Eating only a small handful of these can make your dog extremely ill. The resulting symptoms are muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in their back legs. Bring your pup to the vet immediately if they show any of these signs.


#2 - Salt


Almost all human food contains some level of salt, which is why it is best to avoid giving your dog too much table food as a general rule. Eating large quantities of salt can potentially result in sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, high temperature, seizures, or even death. So next time your dog wants some of your tasty chips, give them a dog treat instead.

#1 - Chocolate


Most dog owners know that giving their dog chocolate is strictly prohibited. Any chocolate is terrible for your dog, but the highly concentrated dark or baking chocolate is the worst. The initial response when your dog eats chocolate will likely be vomiting and diarrhea, and if they ingest too much, depending on their size, it can cause heart problems, seizures, or death. 


facebookIcon twIcon linkIcon mailIcon copyIcon